Years go by and fashion cycles come and go, but certain styles never seem to go out of style. From mom jeans to vintage t-shirts, retro-style clothing has been enjoying a revival in recent years, giving those who love vintage style the opportunity to dress up in their favorite past fashions. Who knew that these old-timey clothes could make such a comeback? We explore how retro styles have become fashionable again and the reasons why vintage revival is still hot today.
1. Spanning the Ages: The Return of Retro Styles
Fossils of days past continue to inspire fashion trends still seen in today’s modern wardrobe. Retro styles have made a resurgence and are dominating the fashion runways, imbuing a sense of nostalgia into today’s apparel choices. Think wide-legged jeans, bold prints, and flashy colors – garments that not only look good on the body but also come to life with creative expression of the wearer.
Possibly the biggest retro style crisscrossing through the fashion realm is the returning of the 70s boho look. Channeling the era of peace and love, this style boasts flouncy, paisley prints, billowing sleeves, and denim shorts. At the same time, there’s a glimpse into the 40s when it comes to suit sets, lingerie-style basics, and nipped-in waists.
Retro classic looks do not end at just garments. They range over the whole spectrum of shoes and accessories that help bring the look together. Crochet, head wraps, booties, clog heels, and round necklines are only a few phenomenal pieces to top off a retro outfit. For a feminine and trendy look, try pairing ultra-high waisted denim shorts with a tied off, tube top. Add a long, flowing cardigan or a delicate blazer to complete the look.
No matter the decade, retro style continues to survive and evolve into both vintage and modern garbs. The way trends re-invent themselves bring in countless possibilities to re-live memories of old and create something altogether new. Not to mention, show stopping pieces that will make you stand out!
When it comes to retro style, don’t be afraid to stand out – but you don’t have to break the bank either! Here are some affordable ways to fall into the retro fashion scene:
- Go thrifting for vintage finds.
- Upcycle old items or mix-and-match pieces for a one-of-a-kind, vintage-inspired look.
- Shop budget-friendly fashion sites (Shein, Romwe, etc.) for unique retro-style pieces.
- Try playing with accessory options to complete your look without breaking the bank.
2. Bright Blasts from the Past: Making a Comeback
Being a trendsetter is tough; every season, new styles and designs become the talk of town, while in the blink of an eye, those same trends become ancient history. However, every now and then something from the past makes a comeback, to the joy of fashionistas everywhere! Here are some fashion finds most recently resurrected from the past that are guaranteed to take any wardrobe up a notch.
- Hoop earrings: These classic items have been around for centuries and have been frequently revived since the 70s. As of late, they have made an especially dramatic return in the form of large, metal hoops that have gained a unique cult following.
- Fanny packs: While these items may have had a bad rep for a while, fashion giants have decided that the fanny pack deserves more respect. They have been revamped with a modern twist, including classic leather to chic denim.
- Princess dresses: Everyone knows retro is back in fashion and there is no better example than the elegant princess dress look. Think of cinderella-style poofy sleeves, bow motifs and plenty of tulle, perfect for special occasions or just everyday fun.
These trends are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to bringing back old-school looks! From bell sleeves, to Mom jeans, to western boots, now is the perfect time to bring out your inner retro fashionista.
The key to making any look more modern is to find ways to incorporate it into your current wardrobe. Whether it’s by pairing a classic item with something more modern, layering it with accessories, or adding unexpected elements such as a matching headscarf or sunglasses, making retro styles chic is totally doable!
3. Fads, Fabrics, & Flashbacks: Rediscover Vintage Revival
Good Ol’ Fashioned Fun
If you’re feeling nostalgic for the fashion of yesteryear, there has never been a better time for you to explore the vintage revival. Vintage clothing is becoming increasingly popular, as it pays homage to classic styles that have stood the test of time.
From retro paperbag pants to comfy one-of-a-kind sweaters, there are plenty of opportunities for you to explore the vintage revival. Embrace the fashion and embrace the fun that comes along with it. Whether you’re shopping in a thrift store or browsing online, vintage clothing can added a unique, stylish flair to any wardrobe. Here are some tips for diving in:
- Think about the novelties. Look for pieces with fun patterns, buttons, or sequins that you can mix and match with other vintage finds.
- Scour local thrift stores. Spice up your wardrobe with one-of-a-kind finds, and you’d be surprised at some of the gems you can uncover.
- Befriend the experts. Consider reaching out to antique dealers and vintage sellers to connect with their insights and knowledge.
So, if you’re feeling adventurous, there’s nothing stopping you from experimenting with the vibrant colors, fabrics, and patterns of vintage trends. Get back into the grooves from decades past, and uncover the fashion secrets that will take your outfits to the next level.
4. Fashion History Lives Again: Fixing Up Nostalgic Looks
Fashion is timeless–its history too. It’s easy to get lost in the throngs of current trends, but why not take the time to reminisce about previous eras? Try fixing up a nostalgic look and you’ll be sure to turn heads.
- Step 1: Start by browsing through old photographs of what fashion looked like 50 years ago. Pay attention to the shapes, sizes and colors of the garments, and look to the silhouettes, too. You never know what inspiration will hit.
- Step 2:Learn how vintage sewing patterns worked. Patterns can easily be found online or in fabric stores. Look for patterns, fabrics and notions that replicate the looks of the past. Make sure to be mindful of small details like fasteners, trim and buttons.
- Step 3: Get creative and accessorize. While a lot of the clothes from past decades haven’t been in fashion for a while, there are plenty of accessories that can be recycled into contemporary looks. Take a vintage-inspired hat or a pair of shoes and build an outfit around them.
- Step 4:Mix and match elements of different decades. This is one of the best ways to create an original and modern look. Try putting together a 50s skirt with a 60s top, combine a 70s hat with a pair of modern trousers. It’s all about putting together the elements that make you look and feel the best.
Creating a nostalgic look is a great way of bringing something new to the table. And with current trends slowly blending different elements of the past together, it’s also becoming quite the trend. Plus, vintage clothes are an eco-friendly way of fashion–so not only do they look good, they’re also good for the world.
What’s better than breathing new life into the clothes of the past? Fix up your own nostalgic look and make it your own. Build an entirely new look and tell your own fashion history.
It’s clear that the vintage revival is underway, and it’s likely that you’ll soon be joining in the trend. Whether with newly-made vintage piece or a couple of thrift store finds, you are now only limited by your imagination. So, what are you waiting for? Go out, get creative, and have fun with vintage revival!